Athletics (Track & Field)
Athletics encompasses all track and field events: short, middle, and long distance running, relays, shotput, mini-javelin, softball throw, as well as running and standing long jumps. There are levels for every age and ability including wheelchair events.
- Athletes will be divided according to ability for running events; there
are 2-3 coaches for each level. Beginning athletes will learn to stay
within his/her lane and practice a variety of short/middle distances to
- Field events are athlete’s choice, however, softball throw limited to
those athletes throwing a distance of 10 meters or less. Coaches will
demonstrate and teach skills
- Wheelchair events include 25, 50, and 100 meter slaloms, softball
throw and shotput. Both manual and electric wheelchair users may
No prior experience necessary.
Athletes should be able to follow directions of coaches/volunteers.
Participation in competition is optional.
- All field event equipment will be supplied.
- Athletes must have proper footwear for running.
Uniforms will be supplied to all athletes participating in competition.
- Participation in two qualifying competitions required to attend state games.
- State games for Athletics held at Towson University in June.
- Volunteers support the coaches at all track and field events; prior track experience helpful, but not necessary.
- Some volunteers may provide one-to-one support for athletes needing additional supports to stay on task.