Basketball 5v5 Player Development
A level of basketball for those of increasing skill level. This is a step to prepare for a traditional basketball game. Teams consist of players that are a mix of athletes and volunteers. Three to four athletes are paired with one to two volunteers and they play together in a full-court setting. Each team is age and skill matched to the extent possible.
Training Times & Locations (January-March):
Mondays, 6:30pm – 8:00pm, Oakland Mills Middle School
Saturdays, 9:15am – 11:00am, Harper’s Choice Middle School
Warm up of calisthenics and run drills to prepare for practice.
Drills for shooting/passing and other skills.
Short scrimmages between the 5v5 PD teams.
- Athletes must be assessed for this level of play.
- Athletes must commit to attending at least 80% of practices.
- Athletes must commit to attending both days of the weekly practice schedule (Tuesdays and Saturdays).
- Participation in required qualifiers and state competition is mandatory.
- Must provide the appropriate shoes for basketball (i.e., tennis shoes).
- Athletes must wear a band for glasses or sports goggles during practice/competitions.
- Athletes must provide a covering (wrist band) for any medical bracelets or other items required to be worn at all times.
- Athletes must bring a white short sleeve t-shirt to be worn under provided shirt during competitions.
- SOHO will provide shorts and jersey for competition.
- Qualifiers are typically held in Howard County.
- State Games typically held in Frederick, MD.
Volunteers are part of the team roster. Volunteers are on the court to facilitate play for the athletes and, as such, cannot score or play defense, but they do handle the ball and pass. Volunteers also facilitate the athletes’ success during the games by providing verbal instructions and non-verbal cues to the athletes as they play. A commitment to regular attendance at practices and all competitions is required. Moderate dribbling and passing skills are preferred.