- Basketball Skills — Athletes focus on skills training (e.g., passing, dribbling).
- Basketball 3v3 Player Development — Teams of two athletes and one volunteer compete in half- court basketball.
- Basketball 3v3 — Teams of three athletes compete in half-court basketball.
- Basketball 5v5 Player Development — Teams of three athletes and two volunteers compete in full-court basketball.
- Basketball 5v5 — Teams of five athletes compete in full-court basketball.
As one of the world’s most popular sports, basketball is a big favorite in Special Olympics. Athletes learn teamwork while improving their athletic ability. As in all Special Olympics sports, basketball teams are grouped in competition divisions according to the athletes’ and team’s ability level, age, and gender. Athletes new to basketball must attend Basketball Assessments Night where a coach will assign athletes to the group that best suits the athletes’ abilities.