Get your best friends and teammates and put on your walking shoes to join the 20 Miles for 20 Years Inspiration Walk Challenge. The Challenge runs from July 1st through September 5th.
Special Olympics provides great opportunities for all of our athletes. By participating in sports, SOHO athletes have increased physical fitness and sports skills, increased self-confidence and social competency, greater readiness for employment, improved friendships and family relationships.
You can’t put a price on the positive impact that Special Olympics sports has on athletes. We are very proud that we have been able to provide quality programs for our athletes without cost to families. All of our expenses for facilities, uniforms, equipment, competitions, etc. are covered through the generosity of individuals and businesses who believe in the program and its results. The Inspiration Walk is our annual fundraiser, critical to our program.
How can you participate?
- Start walking! When you walk 20 miles, you will be entered into a raffle for one of three $100 gift cards and many other prizes.
- Track your miles using the Strava app. (Download the free Strava app to your phone and join the club “SOHO Inspiration Walk”) or track your own miles and email your miles weekly to email@example.com. Final numbers must be submitted by September 5th.
- Meet up with fellow athletes and walk together. Challenge other members of your sports to participate.
- Share your walking adventures on social media. Take photos or videos of your walk and post them on our Facebook event page and tag us on Instagram (@special_olympicsmdhoco).
- Raise funds! You can donate directly to the IW page on line or set up your own fundraising page and get sponsors to support your 20 mile walk.
- Donations can also be made by mailing a check to the office (Special Olympics Howard County, 8970 Route 108, Suite A-1, Columbia, MD, 21045).
- Those raising $100 will receive a commemorative t-shirt. (T-shirts will be available to pick up at the office in September.)
- Also, in honor of our 20th Anniversary, additional prizes will be awarded to the top 20 fundraisers!