Kayaking is one of the newest Special Olympic summer sports, both internationally and in Howard County. Although no experience is necessary to participate, kayaking does require basic skill sets in order to safely and successfully participate and compete. If you think you have what it takes to propel a kayak across the water and compete against others with the same interest, then join us!
Training Times & Locations:
We are not able to offer kayaking for summer 2023.
Dryland exercise and skills practice.
Practice in kayaks on the water.
- Ability to pass a swim test.
- Athletes must be able to propel themselves continually in the water for 25 meters.
- Ability to follow simple directions with minimal intervention to be considered “water safe” in a kayak and on the shore.
- Age 14 at the start of the season.
Kayaks, PFDs and paddles are provided.
- Appropriate clothing and shoes must be worn for practices.
- Uniforms shirts and hats provided for competition.
- Must participate in qualifier to attend State Games.
- State competition held in August at Washington College.
Volunteers assist athletes on shore and provide instruction on the water.