Good news, Special Olympics is now in phase 3 of COVID protocols! The bottom line on what this means is we are planning for a normal sports season this fall with no restrictions (except any based on local restrictions or registration caps we may impose due to training sites, coaches, etc.)
Phase 3 means:
- Pre-screening (temp and questions) are no longer required.
- Physical distancing is encouraged outside of the sport, but not required during sport.
- Communicable Disease Waiver is still required for all athletes, volunteers, and coaches.
- Vaccinated individuals can make their own decisions on wearing a mask.
- Vaccines are not a requirement for participation and we cannot ask or track who is vaccinated. It’s up to the individual to follow Maryland regulations for wearing a mask when not fully vaccinated.
- Anyone who is not feeling well should stay home.
- Anyone who has tested positive for COVID must stay home.
- Contact sports like Flag Football and Soccer are back with no restrictions.
SOMD is planning fall end of season competitions as usual, Golf at Queenstown, Fallfest at Mt. Saint Mary’s, and soccer in Salisbury.
Fall sports registration will be announced in the June newsletter.